Thursday, May 7, 2009

Skin Tags and Pregnancy.?

Basically for as long as I can remember I have had 2 skin tags, one under each of my armpits [which one was removed]. The one under my right armpit is still there and it has about tripled it's size since I have been pregnant. Well I grew another one on my neck about 5 or so years ago. It started off my natural skin color [white] and pregressively got a little larger and started turning brown. I am now 28 weeks pregnant and just realized that this skin tag on my neck is black and is as hard as a rock, it feels like it could just fall off. I have no feeling in it, it's just connected by a little skin. I was just wondering if I should be a little concerned since it's black but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Because after having one removed, that is honestly my last resort!

Skin Tags and Pregnancy.?
I used to work for a dermatologist and it is very common for women to grow skin tags during pregnancy, or for the ones they already had to grow larger. They can be removed by being numbed then cut off with scissors or taken off with a razor blade. The worst part is the little poke when the needle goes into your skin. And yes, the numbing medicine (lidocaine) is safe to use during pregnancy. If you can't handle doing that you can wrap a piece of hair, dental floss, or string around the skin tag several times so that it is tight. After some time it will fall off by itself. It could happen fairly quickly or it could take a week or so. Good luck, I hope this helps.
Reply:I have a skin tag on my side that appeared and grew while I was pregnant. It's funny to me because my child used to play with it while she nursed and now that she's weaned she is still enamored of it and has to touch it whenever she feels insecure.





Anyhow, here's what I found on the web on the subject from a "Dr. Rockoff":





"Skin tags often turn black when they get rubbed or twisted and lose their blood supply. Sometimes this happens even without any remembered trama. certainly would see the doctor to be sure, but don't be surprised if the whole things doesn't just die and fall off before you get there. Happens all the time. If the doctor looks and can't see anything at all, then you can be sure it wasn't anything more than a ski tag or similar benign growth."


No comments:

Post a Comment